[lazarus] Question about makefile and makefile.fpc

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sat Jan 26 10:13:52 EST 2002

Peter Vreman wrote:

> This is a known issue that we already discussed with the fpc
> developpers. The final solution that we are going to implement is:
>
> "fpcmake -w" builds only for the current target. There will be a check
> added to the generated Makefile that compares the current target with
> the targets that the Makefile supports, when this doesn't match an
> error will be returned
>
> "fpcmake -w -Tall" builds a Makefile for all targets
>
> The automatic rebuild of required packages that are not yet build will
> be removed from the generated Makefile
>
> Typing "make makefiles" from the topdir will build all Makefiles
> automatically for the current target. To generate the top Makefile i'll
> look if we can supply a bootstrap makefile

Very nice. That will make things much cleaner.

> > The other problem I get, at least in Win32, is convoluted compiler
> > directives from Make. It seems that it compounds the various -Fu and
> > -Fi calls as it goes down through the Make process. Should it do
> > that? I'm not sure if the Linux setup does it, since I haven't been
> > playing with that, but the Win32 sure does. There will be times when
> > it will repeat the whole -gl -Fu..... -Fi..... -d386 sequence 3 times
>
> This is a bug. If you know how i can reproduce this i can look at it.

Isn't tough to do. Just have Lazarus checked out on Win32 and have a
copy of FPC Win32. Make sure you have a run 'make cleanall' and then
type 'make' from the top. You will see that by the time it gets down to
some of the dependent compilations the options lists are huge.

Another bug I didn't mention was that 'windres' will not run correctly
from 'make'. It complains about trying to run GCC. I forget the exact
statement. However if I run the exact same command by itself outside of
'make' it works just fine.  :-\

> >It's a shame. We have something really nice in Linux and absolutely
> >nothing that we can show in Win32.   :-(
>
> I've a patch for the Makefile.fpc/Makefiles to add support for
> lazarus/lcl and that fixes the synedit problem (missing gtk
> dependency). Also the rebuilding of the Makefiles is easier and works
> better. The previous rebuild check was an addition in the Makefile.fpc
> files and not added by fpcmake.
>
> I already submitted the changes to Marc. He replied that he would look
> at it when he was back from a ski-trip. But if you want i can commit
> these Makefile.fpc changes

I don't think that can be the synedit problem since as I stated
depending on how you order the compilation it compiles fine. Also there
is the fact that it isn't compiling using GTK. We are doing a straight
Win32 API compile on Lazarus with Win32. The reason is that too many GTK
items are not supported in the Win32 version. I have downloaded a more
recent set of GTK Win32 files and maybe it does support some of the
stuff now and we can go back to GTK. I'll let everyone know.