[lazarus] Internationalization-Russian

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Thu Jul 4 08:35:23 EDT 2002

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>yes but the old gettext unit won't work well with different character
>>sets than ISO8859-1. It _might_ work, when everything is not using
>>Unicode but is configured to use the same character set.
>

> Hmm.

full i18n support is not easy to do. We talked about this at the meeting
in Strasbourg: The best solution is to use Unicode (i.e. WideStrings),
and we would have to detect the current character encoding of the
system. (we found out how libc is doing this, and it's quite
complicated. So don't expect an implementation for FPC too soon). For
now, the best solution is using some hacks... (simply assuming that
codepages are set up correctly in the system, etc.) - just try it out
and check wether it works or not...

- Sebastian