[lazarus] Internationalization

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Jul 4 12:44:52 EDT 2002

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 12:42:04 +0400
"÷ÁÓÉÌÉÊ" <Vasily.Volchenko at mstu.edu.ru> wrote:

> So, lazarusidestrconsts.pas seems to be a place for
> internationalization. Here is a Russian version of menu etc.
> May be, .mo will be much better, but I don't know how will it work with
> fpc.

I have started the internationalization.
As an example I have created the german translation. This was a rather quick translation and the string constant units are not completed, so don't expect too much.
The language is autodetected via the language environment variables LANG, LC_ALL and LC_MESSAGES. And you can override the language in the environment->General Options->Desktop.

Internals for the translators:
There are three new directories:
<lazarusdir>/languages
<lazarusdir>/components/codetools/languages
<lazarusdir>/lcl/languages

Plz read the README files in the directories. In each directory you can translate the *.po file just like the german.
If the msgfmt complains about double ids, just delete one of the doubles. Probably we have to write a small script to auto delete doubles, before invoking msgfmt.

Plz send the translated .po files to one of the developers.

Mattias