[lazarus] Proper Lazarus installation

Satan das-ende-ist-nah at gmx.net
Tue May 21 06:33:48 EDT 2002

> These locations should only be used for .RPM package (even though this
> RPM would not be a part of the distro.

where do you got the idea that these are only for .RPM packages (btw not every distro uses RPM)?

quote:

'Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.'

this would mean that your /usr/local/share is ok, but i would like to see it in /usr/share since it is common to install stuff there (and as i quoted there is no difference if it is a package or program)
i think we should place it just where most people want it

> Locally compiled stuff should always default to /usr/local/share and
> /usr/local/lib respectively.

another quote:

'/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data exclusively used by the application must be placed within that subdirectory.'

so i think there is no prob with this dir

but you are right that fhs says it should not must :) be installed to /usr/local (either /lib or /share for our purpose) to avoid it being overwritten by system updates
since i don't think that anything in my /usr dir ever got overwritten by system updates i want stuff in the directories i mentioned in my first mail, just because they are common
if you people want it in /usr/local so it follows the fhs put it there i think it's only little difference

but when i see things like this:

'For historical reasons, /usr/lib/sendmail must be a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/sendmail if the latter exists'

i don't know if it's better to go the fhs way or the common way

comments, please