[lazarus] timer on win32

Vincent Snijders vslist at zonnet.nl
Sun Nov 17 18:09:15 EST 2002

Hi,

As somebody may have noticed, at the moment timers are not working in the
win32 widgetset. Since this seemed a relatively easy and confined problem, I
decided to look into it.

I think the problem is caused by the fact that the settimer function isn't
called with a real window handle, but with the pointer to the (LCL-)timer
object. I don't think we can / should / may put any window handle in the
LCL, so calling it with a window handle is out of the question.

I think the procedures SetTimer and KillTimer should be removed from
LCLLinux, because they don't offer a compabitible functionality as in the
windows unit.

CustomTimer should then make direct calls to the interfaceobject. Maybe we
can change the names to CreateTimer and DestroyTimer.

What do you think of this?

I am willing to implement these changes.

One other question:
In the interfacebase both DoEvents and HandleEvents are declared. In the GTK
interface only HandleEvents is implemented. What is the difference between
DoEvents and HandleEvents? Why is only one needed in the GTK interface? Does
that mean we can remove DoEvents from the interfaceBase?

Regards,
Vincent Snijders.