[lazarus] Lazarus still freezes X

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Oct 17 10:33:22 EDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:41:30 +0200
Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net> wrote:

> At 22:55 16-10-2002 +0200, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I heard that Lazarus still freezes X on some systems.
> >Has anyone any idea what causes it?
>
> I only see it when I'm debugging (debugging a debugger triggers it often)

Yes you mentioned this some time ago. But in this case the debugger is not involved.

> Other reasons to lock is sometimes setting a breakpoint in a mouse event.
> That case looks to me that the (mouse ?) event handler is shared amoung all
> X apps. If you block that, all other apps freeze including X.

Whoa. That's interesting.
I knew that most of the reasons for an X freeze is an input grab, where the grabbing window is destroyed. But freezing by setting a breakpoint is something much more common. This is a simple OnMouseDown event with not much gtk involved. If it can be triggered that simple, then I wonder, why it does not appear more often. I will check the whole mouse grabbing code ...

> I don't know if other events trigger this as wel.
>
> When I kill Lazarus throug the console, everything unfreezes

Sounds like we are loosing grab handles somewhere.

Mattias