[lazarus] Compile freezes up ??

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Oct 21 09:51:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:47:59 +0200 (CEST)
"Peter Vreman" <peter at freepascal.org> wrote:

> > Karl Brandt wrote:

> >clean> > all and then on graphicsmath.pp, the compiler becomes
> >extremely busy> > and XWindows response becomes very slow and
> >eventually it crashes> > X11. This is before even running it.
> >Everything worked okay a few> > days ago. What has changed ?
> >> >

> >> I'm having similar problem when i try to compile the lcl under
> >win32:> I get the following message:
> >>  Compiling graphicsmath.pp
> >>  Error: Stack Overflow
> >>  Compilation aborted graphicsmath.pp:152
> >>  C:\BIN\CODE\FPC\BIN\WIN32\MAKE.EXE: *** [allunits.ppw] Error 202
>
> A stack overflow most of the times has to do with having too many
> interdependent units. Restarting the compilation with already some
> ppu's available can 'fix' the problem.
> In the development (1.1) compiler this problem should be fixed.

Today I compiled lazarus under debian with 1.0.7 from May 23 and
compilation aborted in graphicsmath.pp with a seg fault. Updating the
compiler fixed the problem. So there was definitely a bugfix. The
current fpc rpm on the laz website works for me, but not for Jens, so
I'm not sure if a newer fpc will solve this problem.

The interdependent units:
There are a lot of circles in the LCL, inherited from the VCL. I think,
circles are design flaws. And I think, they can be broken without
loosing too much compatibility. But IMO each of such changes should be
discussed first on this list.
Should we begin such a discussion?

Mattias