[lazarus] Two FPC questions

Tue Sep 10 19:57:36 EDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Sebastian Günther wrote:

> Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:
> >
> > FormatC can easily be implemented and added to SysUtils. If you implement
> > it, I can add it.
>
> ehm... but in C, things like \t are just converted to their ASCII
> representation by the compiler and get stored as such in the binary. I
> would suggest to just add a helper function which converts strings with
> C-like escaped characters to a normal string, instead of writing
> high-level functions such as FormatC. (something like EscapeC/UnescapeC;
> the same could be done for other escaping schemes as well)

I don't think this is a compiler matter, but a preprocessor matter.
In such case it would be better to add general preprocessor support
to lazarus or the compiler, and write some standard m4 preprocessing
statements for this job.

If we honor requests like this, the sky is the limit and finally code
becomes totally unreadable as it is in C. Macroitis is a C disease,
and should remain a C disease. So, I don't think this is a good idea.

Michael.