[lazarus] Help with development?

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 11:23:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:19:34 +0200
"Ludek Finstrle" <xfinstrl at informatics.muni.cz> wrote:

>where can I find some information how can I help with development of
>Lazarus? I can't find it on web.

Well, there isn't really any.. you just sort of pitch in and help as you
can. The easiest thing to do would be to start working with Lazarus and
figuring out what is missing/incomplete/broken and start tackling those
things you know how to fix. For instance there are a few people who just fix
a problem and post a question to the mailing list, and get someone to apply
their patch(s) to CVS. If you are looking into helping out with the Win32
version there is a LOT that needs to be done, and there are currently a few
people looking to get together and work on it, so you might talk to them to
see how you can help out. If you are looking at helping out in general,
there are a few things you might consider working on, the LCL is missing and
incomplete in several areas, so you might try adding missing components,
finishing incomplete, or broken ones. For Instance there is no Grid support,
and while I have started some, I really haven't had the chance to make it
functional enough to commit. There is also no MaskEdit, though I realize
both of these projects are rather big undertakings. You might consider
finishing ActionList support, or working on a Menu Property Editor.. A
RichEdit would be nice as well, though again, a rather massive undertaking
to make one that is crossplatform, as under win32 a dll is prvied for this,
but no such luck under *nix. But as you can see there are several large
portions missing, and much that is incomplete.

to begin with you might jut consider finding any minor bugs in already
working controls and seeing if there is anyway you can help fix them.

Andrew