[lazarus] Corrupted form
nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Sep 19 18:26:25 EDT 2002
On 19 Sep 2002 16:32:33 -0500
Tony Maro <tonym at nlisc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 09:03, Tony Maro wrote:
> > Anyway, it's fairly consistently happening (during any 4 hours of
> > programming) but I can't tell you any one thing to do to trigger it.
I have downloaded your program. I found some gtk warnings and some other small issues, which I have fixed. But still no buggy renaming. Your hints:
> I've been watching today and here's what I've learned:
> It seems to happen at about the same position of the form resource file
> each time. (around line 86 of the form's lrs file) - I've noticed that
> VI will place me right near the position of the error every time I open
> the file to fix it.
The .lrs file? You have edited the .lrs file manually?
Do you mean the .lfm file?
> The more controls on a form the more likely it is to happen.
> Adding controls and then drag-sizing and drag-positioning seems to
> trigger it, but I'm not sure.
Yes, there is a bug in drag moving, but I'm not sure if this results in renaming components.
> If you delete the affected control, the next control that gets shifted
> into that spot is likely to corrupt almost immediately.
> I constantly save all and build all when programming, that may affect
This probably reduces the errors.
> It doesn't seem to affect the currently open copy in the editor, but it
> DOES affect the built app and the next time you open the editor it will
> throw errors.
> It is NOT because I have a bitmap or other graphic stored in the
> resource. In fact I even took out all bitbtn's when you guys started
> working on the streaming code for bitmaps.
> I actually think the editor has detected the changes before because once
> or twice when I've had the editor open it has flagged that a file
> changed while I had it open even though I hadn't changed anything.
What files were flagged and were they opened?
> The corruption seems to start in the .lrs file but will ultimately be
> mirrored in the .lfm file as well (perhaps the next time you open the
Now that is strange. The .lfm file and the .lrs file are always saved together. And the .lfm file is created after the .lrs file. So, the error should always be in both.
> I hope with my help we can pin this down pretty quick. The larger my
> app gets the worse the problem seems. I'm about 3-4 working days away
> from my first functional release of the checkbook balancing software,
> but if this gets any worse I won't be able to finish until it's
Tricky. I have not yet seen it. Maybe I should add some consistency checks for the designer so you can find the bugs earlier ...
> BTW: I just want to congratulate the whole development team on a job
> well done! For me to have no Linux programming experience and go from
> downloading FPC and Lazarus for the first time to a viable finished
> product such as this in under 3 weeks is just amazing, even with my
> Delphi 4 experience. I expect to have all the bells and whistles on it
> (such as category management, scheduled recurring transactions and
> balance forecast graph) within another 2-3 weeks, and multiple account
> management and online banking imports within about 5-8 weeks.
More information about the Lazarus