[lazarus] OnExit event...

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 21:52:04 EDT 2002

On 29 Sep 2002 20:06:29 -0500
"Tony Maro" <tonym at nlisc.com> wrote:

>Yes.  But it's meant to be a workaround on modal forms where certain
>things just weren't working right.  A modal form doesn't like when it
>launches another form on top of the modal one apparently ;-D

can you elaborate on this.. I tried basic modal on top of modal when I was
testing out the close/hide fix, and things seemed to work okay, but so far
you and I see seem to be on different worlds when it comes to these
problems. ;-)

>Well, the calendar will fire off as soon as you setfocus on it (or maybe
>it's before setfocus, I'll have to check that... the Panel just never
>gets the event at all, either way.

>Well, there you have it then!  I'm beating a dead horse with a wet
>noodle expecting to accomplish something!  Sorry to bother all... lol

nice imagery... I like.. :)

>Mmm... I can understand that.  So the next question becomes - and I
>think you know what I'm trying to accomplish with this control - do you
>have a better suggestion for detecting lost focus when someone clicks
>out of the pop-up?  I can always go back to the close button approach...
>but was trying to keep from doing that.  I know absolutely nothing about
>GTK programming, so hooking in at GTK level is out of the question for
>me (at least for another 6 months.)

hmmm. I would suggest first going back to the way it was, because I am
having absolutly no issues with your control, on modal forms, on modal on
top of modal et-al, so long as it uses show, not showmodal on the popup
form.  If you continue to have issues.. post them. better to try and do
things the proper way, and fix any issues resulting, then create a hack and
still have to go back and fix things later, after all these things are
problems in the LCL, which should be fixed anyway, and if I or anyone else
can fix them all the better for everybody, not just you.

>Do you think it's possible for me to hook a message that would allow my
>control to spy on the onenter event application wide, and hide itself
>when any form other than itself gets an onenter event?

It is possible on a purely GTK level. but there is that again.

I think it would be a good idea to be able to intercept these sorts of
things on a LCL level, so that any control can create its own interceptions
for special purpose controls etc. however this is rather complex and while I
understand the basics, because I do not have the experiance it would take me
days perhaps weeks to figure out this by myself, so ... perhaps later.

Andrew