[lazarus] Context sensitive help

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Thu Apr 10 20:26:27 EDT 2003

Under Delphi, wasn't there a "helpid" property or something like it that
was used for the context sensitive help system?

Is it possible to add this property to the TControl object (or wherever
it's more appropriate?)

I'm working on an HTML context sensitive help system and my idea is for
a TComponent that you drop on a form that will watch keystrokes for F1.
It would then see what control had focus and check it's help id
property.  Then it maps that help id property to a list of html files
provided at design time, locates a proper browser on the computer and
opens the html document with it.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how to grab the keystrokes with a
message before any other control grabs it.

Currently I'm using a context help system like this, but I have each
control's OnKeyDown event triggering the help file.  That's kind of
kludgy and painful if there's a lot of controls.

Is there a message my control could watch for that would let it see the
keys before the controls?  Or that would grab leftovers after the
controls processed everything they could... and if the latter, would F1
naturally fall through?

Thanks,

--
Tony Maro
tony at maro.net
http://tony.maro.net/

Check out my software "CheckBook Tracker"
A GPL (free) replacement for Microsoft Money!