[lazarus] Context sensitive help

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Apr 11 03:56:24 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:34:49 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2003, Tony Maro wrote:
>
> > Under Delphi, wasn't there a "helpid" property or something like it that
> > was used for the context sensitive help system?
>
> HelpContext, at the level of TWinControl.

Under Delphi TControl has the three properties

    property HelpType: THelpType;
    property HelpKeyword: String;
    property HelpContext: THelpContext;

The LCL has the same, but they were not published, because help is not
implemented in TApplication yet. I have published them.

> > Is it possible to add this property to the TControl object (or wherever
> > it's more appropriate?)
> >
> > I'm working on an HTML context sensitive help system and my idea is for
> > a TComponent that you drop on a form that will watch keystrokes for F1.
> > It would then see what control had focus and check it's help id
> > property.  Then it maps that help id property to a list of html files
> > provided at design time, locates a proper browser on the computer and
> > opens the html document with it.
>
> This should be standard behaviour of the TWinControl component, there
> should be no need to add a separate control. Your problem of who gets to
> see the keystroke first is then solved.

I think, Michael is right.

Mattias