[lazarus] Newbie Questions

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Aug 4 17:36:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Miguel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently discovered this proyect, and as a Win32 programmer, I was a little discouraged reading about the no-usability of Lazarus under Windows, so
>
> 1) What is the status for win32 by now ?

Today we tried it in my company:

Most demos seem to be in a more or less working state.

The IDE starts, but you can't type anything in the editor.
Most dialogs seem to work, although many settings are not saved.
(the path to the compiler, for one thing)

You can drop buttons and other components on forms, this works, but
since the editor window itself does not work, this functionality is
useless.

> 2) Can I design and debug on Linux, and then compile on win32 ?

This should be possible. As far as the components work, the programs
will also work.

> 3) Can I compile using gtk widgets on win32 ?

Many examples work, but the IDE itself doesn't. For me it's an open issue
whether this is due to GTK-for-win32 itself or due to the workings of
the LCL. I've written other GTK applications with almost all available
widgets (so not just 'Hello world') which work perfectly on windows. This
indicates that it's the LCL which is somewhere at fault, but the general
opinion of the Lazarus developers is that it is GTK-for-win32 which
doesn't work correctly. Judge for yourself.

Michael.