[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Aug 23 09:38:08 EDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:10:15 +0200 (CEST)
Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> > Peter Vreman had the same idea and I like the idea too. But in general,
> > fpcmake and the lazarus package system are quite different. fpcmake is a
> > Makefile generator and the other is a graphical dependency manager for
> > fpc commands.
>
> Sounds the same to me ? One is graphical, the other not :-)
>
> > A Makefile is file based, supports a lot of macros and uses the
> > environment vars. Lazarus otoh is package based, supports inheritance
> > and no variable depends on external programs.
>
> I think that it should be possible to create a makefile based on a lazarus
> package file, the makefile can then be used to do command-line building.

I doubt that you can create a standalone Makefile, because it must be able
to parse xml files and check topological. Of course you can parse the xml
files and then create a Makefile, but this will only work on your computer,
unless you make sure, that all packages are in fixed locations.

> > So, when combining both systems, we will loose some of the Makefile
> > abilities.
>
> In general, we don't use most of the abilities anyway, so this is OK.
>
> fpcmake is not a must for me, but we need something to steer compilation,
> independent of the IDE.

Such a tool is one of my top todos.
We need also a tool to edit the packagelinks.xml file at command line.

Mattias