[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Aug 23 20:00:27 EDT 2003

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > Maybe we can make some busybox version in FPC to use on non *nix platforms?
> >
> > > Currently the Makefile doesn't support cygwin. Adding support to the
> > > Makefile is not easy because it needs more exceptions to look for
> > > install.exe instead of ginstall.exe etc.
> >
> > And also because of this.
> >
> > So detect ppc386 source, and if os_source=win32 or go32v2 (and maybe others),
> > INSTALL=mybinary -i
> > PWD= mybinary -p
> >
> > etc etc.
> > ?
>
> Agreed with all these difficulties. But what is the conclusion ?
> Make a complete new tool which does everthing itself,
> based on/compatible to the lazarus package tool ?

Keep using make, but replace all other utils on non unix systems.

If we really would replace make, it would become a huge effort, with a hard
transition time.

I think we should regard FPC and Lazarus as stuff that only
developpers/maintainers build (using make),
while lazarus packages are typically made by users.

It is natural to keep that apart.