[lazarus] Object inspector edit/combobox

Micha Nelissen M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl
Tue Aug 26 11:33:50 EDT 2003

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:02:16 +0200
> Micha Nelissen <M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Why the following code?
>>
>>     ValueEdit.Parent:=Parent;
>>     ValueComboBox.Parent:=Parent;
>>     ValueButton.Parent:=Parent;
>>
>>Why not set the parent of these controls to the eventgrid/propertygrid
>>which is much more logical IMHO. If the eventgrid and it's valueedit
>>have the same parent, they're fighting for the z-order, while the
>>valueedit should be on top, no?
>
> debugging, I think, we should keep it robust and basic (as all general IDE
> parts), so that any new interface will find it easier to get the IDE
> running.
> The OI creates the grids before the edit controls, so that the grids should
> ly below them. If the win32 intf is not able to keep the z order, then I
> wonder how the VCL achieves it.
> Maybe something is recreating the grid handle?

Some time ago, the edit worked, but the combobox did not. It did appear,
but when it disappeared it was gone for good. The window handle was
destroyed and it did not come back. I changed the parent of the combobox
to be the grid itself and that worked nicely, so I thought: why would
you not want it like this. However: with current cvs it does seem to
work; the combobox does appear, and keeps doing so, so it probably was
another bug.

Regards,

Micha.