[lazarus] 1.0 todo list?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Dec 27 12:47:10 EST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:58:39 +0100  Micha Nelissen <micha at neli.hopto.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are the goals for bringing out a version 1.0 exactly? Nearly all
> parts of lazarus are improving constantly, but when do we consider
> version 1.0 ready? Or are we like WINE, staying at 0.x forever? ;-)
>
> I guess that when a '1.0' is released, especially binaries for win32,
> then more people will start using it and reporting bugs...but it's just
> that: a guess.

If you don't have enough bugs to fix, then you can help with some other
parts of lazarus. ;)

As for the stable release:
IMO there are still too many bugs and odds in lazarus to call it stable. For
example missing installer, docs and loader.
Maybe we can fix/workaround the most important points and then release a
"stable" version.

What do the others think? What are the most important points to fix before a
release?

Here a start:

Installer - We can create rpms and tgz. I think a stable version should also
have a 'make install', debian packages and kde/gnome icons. What about a
win32 installer?

Docs - We need a feature list, a quick start and a short tutorial

Loader - Because we still have no dynamic libs, to install packages we must
recompile the IDE. Because an installed lazarus is readonly, we need to
compile lazarus to the users home directory and a loader which starts the
right one. The loader should also be able to recognize if the new IDE does
not start and start the default/stable version. We once had a detailed
discussion about this, so I will skip the details.

Test - Test all packages (interbase, mysql, gtkglarea, htmllite) and write
if they do work.

Mattias