[lazarus] Lazarus Status and "How would I"

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jun 18 20:02:38 EDT 2003

On 17 Jun 2003 18:47:16 -0500
Matt Henley <mhenley at houston.rr.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at Lazarus lately because Borland's interest in
> Kylix seems to be on the downside. I have been working on a little
> project which is to be gpl'd if i ever get it to a stage that is
> presentable. I have made quite a bit of progress in the background
> calculation portion and have been working on the user interface and the
> database interface. The user interface is to be diagram based... like
> Dia or Visio, where the user drags building blocks onto a canvas and
> then connects them with lines. Any ideas on how to get started with this
> type of interface?

There are a lot of possibilities. For example for the diagram you can create
a new component based on TCustomControl. The drag&drop part could be
somewhat tricky, as this is not yet complete in the LCL and so you need to
handle it yourself.

> I am more adjusted to the math and simulation portion
> and am new to the graphics part. Is lazarus and Free Pascal ready to be
> used for something like this?

I think so.

> Are there existing components that could
> be leveraged for such? Any library that i create I would be willing to
> license as to be useable by everyone.
>
> Second, what is the status of the database components? I am looking to
> use something like SQLite where a complete database can be saved as one
> file which looks to the user like a single project file.

I will leave this to the fpc database cracks.

Mattias