[lazarus] Clean build from nothing

cryst cryst at golden.net
Tue Jun 24 13:29:28 EDT 2003

What I want.
tar -xzf fpc*
cd fpc
.configure
make
make install

tar -xzf lazarus*
cd lazarus
.configure
make    (make works for pascal as well)
make install

What I've got:
Downloading the fpc source files from the download area gives me deb files?
Downloading source files from fpc site gives me much source but no obvious
way to compile it.
Using the install scripts in the install directory (after following the
instructions) breaks with permissions problems on programs that don't even
seem to exist.
Nothing seems to work.

Maybe I'm just totally going down the wrong path. This isn't my first time
trying to install this beast, and I would really like to use and possibly
help with development, but I can't even get to stage 1.

I will look for "There is a basic docs/INSTALL text."

However the only docs that I could find on site were ones that were
autogenerated for the pascal sources. Nothing to do with install.

What my plan is...
The game Seige of Avalon is being open sourced in order to move it to Linux.
I'm going to be involved with that. The game was originally written in
Delphi for Windows.  I would like to get Lazarus put on my system along with
fpc so that I can use it instead of Kylix. If this happens from the
beginning of the port it will keep things compatible. (instead of a big
messy clean up later). By creating an ebuild I can get any gentoo users to
be able to quickly and easily install fpc and lazarus. I can then go off and
work on the port of the game.