[lazarus] Clean build from nothing

cryst cryst at golden.net
Tue Jun 24 14:44:38 EDT 2003

> At 19:55 24-6-2003, you wrote:
> >What I want.
> >tar -xzf fpc*
> >cd fpc
> >.configure
>
> We don't need to detect what kind of Pascal flavour is installed so the
> configure step is not needed.

The fpc is compiled from C as well as assembler so it would be useful.

My point (rather badly made I admit) is that there are standard ways of
installing software, and it appears that fpc (and lazarus by extension) do
not follow that standard. So any hopes of getting more people involved are
immediatly stunted.  The rule of thumb should be, as you are move from doing
things in the "normal/standard" way it should be documented more and more
carefully to keep the level of obviousness from disappearing over the
horizon. (and keep in mind my horizons as a non-user are quite different
then you as someone who has gotten things working).

I would be happy to help in this regard, but I'm stuck.

Chris Bruner

> >make
> >make install
> >
> >tar -xzf lazarus*
> >cd lazarus
> >.configure
> >make    (make works for pascal as well)
> >make install
> >

> >What I've got:
> >Downloading the fpc source files from the download area gives me deb
files?

> There are deb files available. When 1.0.8 is released it will also be
> uploaded to debian. I already contacted the debian maintainer for this.
But