[lazarus] started porting Delphi PNG unit to FPC/Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Jun 29 15:57:08 EDT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:58:13 +0200 (CEST)
Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Stefan Weber wrote:
>
> > Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> > > We're working on a solution in the FCL itself. It includes a PNG and
> > > XPM reader/writer, with support for all PNG features.
> >
> > When will it be available? Does it provide a TGraphic descendant for the
> > LCL?
>
> I have sent all code to Mattias Gaertner, and I am waiting for his
> comments on how we should continue. At the moment, he is best placed to
> answer your question.

I'm currently reading and testing a few things to form an opinion.

In general:
The FCL will support device/platform independent graphics.
The LCL will support device/platform dependent graphics.
I think, speed is very important and so we need the possibility to load
graphics with less mappings/conversions as possible. For instance an image
should not be loaded with calls to SetPixel. And I guess, we can't simply
emulate the VCL and their win32 bitmaps.

Mattias