[lazarus] documentation

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Mar 10 04:06:15 EST 2003

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Stefan. Hille wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:57:40PM -0600, Jesus Reyes wrote:
> > > Hi, do somebody knows software (apart from pasdoc) to write component
> > > documentation?
> >
> > Just saw an announcment on freshmeat, but did not test it:
> >
> >  http://fershmeat.net/projects/doxygen
>
> It doesn't support Pascal.

Hmm. Written by a Stack member though :-)

> >  and
> >
> >  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pas2dox/
>
> 1. Only does inline documentation, which makes for totally unreadable code.
> 2. Is written in C++, not very nice for a pascal documenter !

Don't see such remark religiously, it is more that

- It raises software limits for every day development work and usage even
more. (Now all we need is LaTeX/ghostcript and rarely xfig)
- It requires even more languages skills from the developpers, increasing the difficulty
to keep developpers as all-round as possible on all project details.

Moreover, the usual "reinvent the wheel" kind of arguments don't apply,
because we have a relative concentration of expert (Object) Pascal
programmers, that already maintain large amounts of Pascal code anyway.

After the initial work (and fpdoc is already quite far) it is easier to
extend and maintain such an own written tool, then learning ocaml to fix
e.g. FPC specific bugs in doxygen, and then convince the maintainer to
include the fixes.