[lazarus] compiling from CVS

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Fri May 2 01:40:21 EDT 2003

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

>>If you want a quick and easy tutorial on installing FPC for use with
>>Lazarus check my website at:
>>
>>http://tony.maro.net/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=2
>>

>A nightmare! There is no way to easily delete the files once you have unpacked
>them. There is no control over where stuff goes and that is totally
>unacceptable to me.

Uh, perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying.  If you want to untar
them somewhere else, then by all means, change the -C switch in the tar
command.

As shown in the tutorial, every file is installed in:
/usr/local/lib/fpc/1.0.7/

which can be safely deleted if you wanted to get rid of it.  Other than
that, just delete the symbolic link you created at:
/usr/local/bin/ppc386

I don't understand where the nightmare is... It's not as hard as you
think, and there's certainly not a lack of control.

I probably would have felt much as you do, except I took the stance that
if I was going to be a programmer, I should probably make an attempt to
understand what was going on with the compiler, such as where it
installs, how to configure it, etc.  rather than just letting a package
do it all for me.

But, I'm glad Mattias got or found 1.0.7 .deb's for you.

-Tony