[lazarus] circular unit reference

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Nov 15 11:48:03 EST 2003

> >>Ack. But Borland Delphi is the reference. There is no doubt.
> >>

> >Can you exlpain to me (in simple words, please) why there is any need for Lazarus?
> >

> linux RAD?
>
> sorry, not simple words.
>
> How about "Easier Linux Software Development"
>
> or
>
> rapid application development on linux.
>
> or
>
> an opensource alternative for cross platform rapid application
> development on windows and linux/unix.

- Having source for compiler and RAD, being able to customize.
	(for embedded, special purposes, or newer windows versions)
- Not requiring OS patches on linux, supporting near all distro's.
- Supports *BSD and some other OSes.
- In the future multiple processors, and e.g. Mac OS X support. (and no,
	I don't think Delphi going .NET will do much for that, M$ will
	effectively block that)
- Continued development on the win32/x86 OS and CPU, and not freezing
	that in favour of .NET.
- (on *nix): more larger part of the total code available in nice Pascal
	source.

etc etc.