[lazarus] The use of FPC and Lazarus for simulation software

P. van der Velde p.vandervelde at raketnet.nl
Fri Sep 19 18:14:28 EDT 2003

Hello people

If all goes well I will be starting my PhD work in a few months. For my
PhD research I will be designing and developing a platform for
multi-physics simulations. This platform will consist of two main items.
The first is a number of libraries with standard base objects from which
new components can be derrived. The second is the actual application
that can load components and then allow them to perform their task. The
aplication can thus be seen as a platform for numerical simulations and
the library sort of as a API. If all goes well the platform should
become somewhat of a standard for numerical simulation software.

The main reason I am interested in FPC and Lazarus is that FPC allows
one to write a single source file that can be compiled on many different
systems (Windows, Linux etc.). This would be great for the application I
am going to develop. I would want to use Lazarus as my code editor given
that I am used to writing my source code in Delphi (and am thus
extremely spoiled with silly things like a working IDE, code completion,
object inspectors, simple GUI design etc. etc. ;-).

Now I had some questions with regards to the possibilities of FPC and
Lazarus. If these are way off topic please let me know and I'll take my
questions elsewhere.
First I would like to know if it is possible to do dynamic package
FPC or am I wrong here? If it is not available any idea on how long it
will take before it will be available or if it will be available at all?

Another question is with regards to Synchronisation objects. I will be
using multi-threading quite heavily and as a concequence I will need
some Sync Objects. I notices that there are a few of them in the FP
library but I'm kinda missing the MREWS
(MultipleReadExclusiveWriteSynchroniser). Chances are that I will need
it because the user interface and some other objects only need to read
the data while there will probably only be one data generator. Therefore
it should be more efficient to use a MREWS but as far as I know that is
not present in the FP lib, or is it?

The third question is with regards to the current functionallity of
Lazarus. How well does Lazarus actually work on Windows machines at this
moment. I have tried to find a download but can't find one. I also tried
to download the latest snapshot but I can't seem to get the CVS working
on my machine (probably due to the fact that I'm doing something really
stupid because I followed the instructions on the Lazarus website but it
is still not working). So if anybody has a simple download link for me I
would be really thankfull. Is it already possible to just download an
installable version or do I have to compile Lazarus after downloading?

Finally I would like to know if the the DUnit testing system
(http://www.dunit.sourceforge.net) works with FPC and Lazarus? I have
been using this system to test my classes for some time now I have found
that it is one of the best testing systems. It has helped me remove
loads of bugs from my source code.

Thanks for your help

Regards Petrik