[Lazarus] Read image from resources with TLazIntfImage

Valdas Jankūnas skroblas at erdves.lt
Sat Apr 26 22:46:57 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:33:28 +0200
"Graeme Geldenhuys" <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> Further investigation revealed the problem. It's only menus that show
> over the IDE Editor window, and it's actually the Editor windows that
> takes long to redraw, which causes it to look like flicker. Using the
> menus on the left (File, Edit etc...) which are not over the Editor
> window, displays quickly, like all other GTK2 apps.

Good. So the only speed problems are the TextOut functions.

> >  But it is true, that the ExtTextOut function, which is used by
> > SynEdit, under gtk2 is at least 5 times slower than under gtk1. It
> > uses pango functions, which are great for full unicode support, but
> > snail slow. Probably the font system must be changed to cairo.
>
> OK, that would definitely explain the slowness I experience.  Why
> don't you use Xft directly? fpGUI uses Xft and unicode support is
> perfect. That way you will get unicode support in the editor, should
> have faster redraws and might even give GTK1 widgetset a unicode (and
> truetype fonts enabled) Editor as well.

AFAIK Cairo works on more gtk platforms than XFT, so Cairo can
reduce IFDEFs and maintenance work.
I have to test, how much faster XFT is and how complicated Cairo is.
A small gtk test application is needed for each system to test the font
selection, font information and text drawing.

Mattias