[Lazarus] Okay... I've got Lazarus 0.9.25 but now it doesn't find it's own units.

Peter Williams pewtas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:11:58 CEST 2008

G'day Mattias and Fellow Lazarus Fans,

*SMILE*

2008/8/11 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>

> Zitat von Peter Williams <pewtas at gmail.com>:
>
> > G'day All,
> >
> > Okay... Good news is that I've managed to install FPC, FPC Source, and
> > Lazarus -- from today's snapshot.
> >
> > Bad news is -- the same project which Mattias assures me won't Build.
> > I get the following fatal error:
> >
> > HelpMultiTabbed.lpr(8,7) Fatal: Can't find unit Interfaces used by
> > HelpMultiTabbed
> >
> > I'm thinking that I need to change/add path(s) in the Project /
> > Compiler Options menu... but what goes into which path(s) boxes?!?
>
> Don't change the project compiler options search paths. In 9 of 10 cases
> this is
> the wrong solution.

ok. I suspected as much.

> unit interfaces belongs to the LCL. So either your environment options are
> not
> correct (e.g. it still points to your old lazarus directory, or you are
> still
> using an old compiler) or you are trying to compile with the wrong
> widgetset
> (choose 'default' in compiler options) or you have installed some
> fpc/lazarus
> packages that don't fit together.
> Since you have already tried different things on your kubuntu it might be
> possible that you have some left overs from prior installations. In this
> case
> we can only guess, what went wrong without a complete -vut output (-vu -vt
> are
> fp compiler flags to show every tried file).
> Please do a compiler test: Project / compiler options / test.
>
> Probably the best strategy for you at this point is to do this:
> Uninstall the lazarus package (keep fpc and fpc-src)

I did this by using the Adept Manager and using the 'mark for
uninstallation' option (or 'removal' - not quite sure of the terminology it
used) on the lazarus software. It worked well. :-)))

> Download lazarus from svn and build it.
> Open a terminal/command prompt, (do *no* sudo and do *not* become root)
> change
> to the directory you wish the Lazarus folder to be created in, download it
> and
> build it:

I followed your instructions (below):

> mkdir /home/user/pascal
> cd /home/user/pascal
> svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus

At this point, the terminal reported that SVN was not installed. However, it
was very clever and helpful (!!!) and it told me the 'apt-get' command to
install SVN. I entered the command to install SVN and it installed without
any problems. ;-)))

> cd lazarus
> make LCL_PLATFORM=gtk2

This also worked well !!! *SMILE*

> If you have trouble with svn, see
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Using_SVN
>
> If you have trouble linking, you may have to install the gtk2 development
> package:
> sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

I didn't need to do this. It must have already been installed.

> Start lazarus with
> /home/user/pascal/lazarus/lazarus
>
> You can put an icon on your desktop to this path if you want.

The only (small) problem that I have now is that the command for lazarus, in
both the Menu / Applications / Development submenu, and the shortcut on my
desktop HAVE LOST THE ICON. I get a crappy looking icon of a white paper
document *instead* of the usual leopard icon. It's probably something simple
-- but like most computer problems, it's a matter of knowing what to change
and where to look.

btw --- I used Lazarus (yes, I'm using 0.9.25 beta) and Built and RAN my
"Help Multitabbed Dialog" app -- it works fine now. So I quickly archived
the folder -- just in case... so that I have a working copy of it
archived!!! *SMILE*

> Mattias

Best Regards and Wishing One & All Happy Debugging,
PEW

--
Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com (or)
http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)