[Lazarus] Lazarus icon on desktop has lost its cheetah icon (replaced with paper page icon).

Peter Williams pewtas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:39:13 CEST 2008

Hi All,

2008/8/20 Chris Kirkpatrick <chris.kirkpatrick at doctors.org.uk>

> Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:28:32 +1000
> > "Peter Williams" <pewtas at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> This is only a minor bug... but it's annoying. Previously, when I was
> >> using Lazarus 0.9.24 beta (weeks ago now) I had Lazarus in my Kmenu /
> >> Development menu with a cheetah icon. Now, after following Mattias's
> >> instructions (a few weeks back) I have Lazarus 0.9.25 beta installed
> >> {thank you, Mattias :-) } and it seems to be working pretty well.
> >> However, the kmenu / Development / Lazarus programming language menu
> >> item (both in the kmenu & the link on my desktop) have lost the
> >> cheetah icon and instead they display a very boring icon which looks
> >> a bit like a white piece of paper. (see attached file... it was
> >> created from doing a snapshot of my screen then cropping out the
> >> appropriate section with The GIMP -- "temp1.jpg" -- 8K in size)
> >>

> > This is the default icon of your distribution.
> >
> > The cheetah icon is lazarus/images/ide_icon48x48.png.
> >

> >> Note that I don't think this is a Lazarus bug... it seems to be a
> >> Linux Kubuntu 4.0 problem, as I've had this happen with other kmenu /
> >> menu items. E.g. the real icon is lost and replaced with this boring
> >> paper page icon.
> >>
> >> In a related question: I used to use Mirco$oft Windowz (many different
> >> versions) for a long time. One feature of Windowz which I did quite
> >> like is that if you created what Windowz called a 'shortcut' then you
> >> could edit its properties and click on the 'change icon' link and
> >> pick any .ico file (e.g. a icon file) and when you applied the
> >> change... presto... your shortcut had a new icon. What is the Kubuntu
> >> equivalent of doing this?!? Note: because I don't feel very
> >> comfortable with the command line in Kubuntu.... I would prefer to
> >> use a program in Kubuntu for changing the icons which has a GUI
> >> interface. ;-)
> >>
> >> I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.0... if that helps. I can provide
> >> additional system specs as requested. *SMILE*
> >>

> > I don't know kubuntu.
> >
> > Mattias

> Right click on desktop icon.
>
> Select properties.
> Click on 'boring' icon
> In 'select icon' dialog click on 'other icons', then browse to find the
> icon you want (eg the one specified by Matthias. Select it and you
> should see the picture you want on the desktop.
> Standard KDE configuration.

Thanks for the help, guys. ;-))) I managed to change the icon without too
much trouble... with many thanks to Mattias for telling me the path to the
Lazarus icon.

For those interested, the sets for changing the icon in the Kmenu were as
follows:
(1) press Alt+F2 and a window open where I can enter kubuntu commands
(2) type 'kmenuedit' (without the quotes) and select 'Launch' button
(3) now the KDE Menu Editor opens. Locate the menu item for 'Lazarus
Programming Language' and right click it for properties.
(4) the trick to know here is: to change the icon for the menu item, simply
click on the current icon (in my case it was a 'boring' paper page icon).
You can then select an icon from the many system icons or 'browse' to locate
the icon to use. This is the point where I browsed to find the Lazarus icon.
(5) all fixed... the menu item's icon is now the correct one.

To change the desktop icon, it was a similar process, except that I needed
to 'unlock' the icons before I edited the icon.... then 'lock' it after I
had finished making the changes.

Best Regards,
PEW

> Regards - Chris

Fond Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -- phone (03) 6236-9675

My free website is: http://pewtas.googlepages.com (or)
http://tinyurl.com/yuyejs

(please visit my free website and let me know what you think about it.)