[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 1 13:16:18 CET 2008

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:34:10 +0100
Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:

> En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:
> > On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:08:19 +0100
> > Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:
> >
> >> En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:

> >> I don't really want to share them, I just want to build lazarus
> >> with my selection of components, regardless of the lazarus version
> >> I'm using. Suppose I use svn and 0.9.26, suppose also that, as you
> >> suggest, I use --pcp to keep the configuration different.
> >> Now, suppose that while I'm using the svn version, I install a
> >> component bundled with lazarus, say, rx.
> >> What I want is, when I rebuild 0.9.26, it also has rx installed,
> >> but obviously compiling it from the 0.9.26 source directory, and
> >> without having to manually install it in the ide.
> >> Most important, when I update to 0.9.28 I also want to rebuild it
> >> and have rx included.
> >> Of course, it wouldn't be an issue if you only have a couple of
> >> components installed, but it is when you have 10 or 20.
> >> As of now, the only way to do it is to copy the configuration files
> >> from one version to the other and manually edit the paths of the
> >> components that are under the lazarus source directory.
> >
> > Well, the important point is:
> > "without having to manually install it in the ide."
>
> Actually, without having to *re* install it in the ide. I'm perfectly
> fine with the ide for the first time I install a new package. After
> that I simply want to use make to rebuild lazarus.
>
> > If you don't want to use the IDE, then yes, you have to
> > manually edit the config files.
> > What you need is a (command line) tool to copy some part of the
> > config directory to another config directory (here: the list of
> > installed package names and the paths that are not in the lazarus
> > directory).
>
> Actually, the paths that *are* in the lazarus directory, adjusting
> them for the *different* lazarus directory. Components outside of the
> lazarus tree are no problem.

;)
Actually lazarus knows the paths to the packages inside the lazarus
sources, because they have packager/globallinks/*.lpl files.
When you setup a second config directory it needs to know the outside
packages.

> Maybe the solution could be to simply use relative paths if they are
> under the lazarus directory.

Yes, but that would make using packages from other lazarus source
directories impossible. So it is not that simple.

> > The IDE allows to save the list of installed package names and load
> > them (Packages / congfigure installed packages / import,export). If
> > this list is extended with the paths then you have a tool.
>
> If it is extended with the path it would probably have the same
> problem: components outside the lazarus directory will be fine,
> components in the lazarus directory will point to the old one once
> imported. Again, maybe the solution could be the use of relative
> paths.

Yes, you need a filter option for the import/export.

Mattias