[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 16:29:17 CET 2008

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Getting_Lazarus
>
> This page should be renamed to something like how to get the
> development sources of lazarus. And the other hints should be moved to
> the installation page:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus
>
> There the compilation of the IDE is described.

Thanks, this page seems to match my needs better :-)

In detail the USB drive instructions look very interesting, for having
Lazarus installed in both the release and trunk versions.

Nonetheless I wonder:

- When I want to have multiple Lazarus installations on the same
machine, why can't that be done from an existing Lazarus installation?
Lazarus already can rebuild itself, to include required packages. What
would be required to use that existing feature to rebuild Lazarus after
changes to the Lazarus source code? [I already have 2 Lazarus icons on
my desktop, one for the "naked" (distributed) version, and one for the
rebuilt one.]

- Similar for applications, developed with fpc/Lazarus. When I e.g. work
on PasDoc, I want to have both the "official" and trunk/branch versions
available, for reference purposes. I'm absolutely lost (on Linux), how
the test suites find their corresponding program file.

- Why is a Lazarus installation so different from the installation of
Windows applications, conforming to the Windows guidelines? The proper
use of the defined application and user directories would allow for
multiple (common or user-specific) installations, and more. Please note
that I understand the advantages of an installation that bypasses common
Windows policies, but many users would be happy with a "standard"
installation, as appropriate for every OS (not only for Windows).

- I'm missing a GUI tool for managing the Lazarus installation(s). The
intended audience certainly are GUI people, not command line freaks!
I understand that such a tool must be platform specific, to some degree,
but it might be easier to provide such tools, instead of writing
detailed command line procedures for the different platforms. If
somebodey can provide a platform independent skeleton for such a tool,
I'm willing to add the Windows specific part to it.

DoDi