[Lazarus] Lazarus on Mac OS 10.5, 10.4

Geoffrey Barton mrb at periphon.net
Fri Dec 5 09:59:24 CET 2008

Mattias Gartner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

> I installed the apple developer tools on a 10.5, installed laz and
> fpc and
> compiled lazarus without cwstring unit. The produced LCL
> applications run on
> 10.4 and 10.5. I didn't even alter the linker options or library
> paths as
> described in the wiki.
> So apparently a simple LCL app does not need much.
>
> Maybe some special controls need some special libs?

If I had installed Lazarus (0.9.26) on a machine running OS 10.4,
presumably it would compile and run programs ok? What I am getting at
is, if Lazarus installs, runs and compiles on 10.4 then there either
must be some configuration which gets set somehow, or nothing is
required. If not, is there a list of what needs changing? I have not
seen one. Personally, I do not know how to compile Lazarus at all, so
certainly would not now how to compile without cwstrings, and this
would be true for anybody meeting lazarus for the first time on a
recent Mac, which will be either 10.4 or 10.5. I think a lot of Macs
are still on 10.4.

Geoffrey