[Lazarus] Changed Compilers Options and Run (was Re: Environment options corrupted)

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Tue Dec 9 14:14:28 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:57:37PM +0100, Tom Verhoeff wrote:
> We use Lazarus in our first year programming education (as an experiment).
>
> There are various issues that we encounter, some small, some bigger.

Here is another issue.  When working on a program involving multiple
units, it may turn out that the "Use AnsiStrings" was not set consistently.

Students are advised to enable this globally in the Compiler Options,
but they sometimes forget.  Some (given/generated) units also contain
their own {$H+}, others don't.  This may give rise to inconsistencies
(usually flagged by the compiler, but not understood by beginners).

When you change Compiler Options later, and then do Run, the relevant
unit may not be (re)compiled, because its source code did not change.
One is required to do a Build All first.  But a beginner will not be
aware of this.

Is it possible to have the IDE suggest a Build All when doing Run,
if the Compiler Options were changed after the previous build?
Or even better have a three-way global setting:

  When doing Run and the Compiler Options changed after the previous build:

    *  Always do a Build All  <-- this would be better for beginners
    *  Always ask to either Build or Build All (the latter as default choice)
    *  Always do a Build   <-- this seems to be the current situation

Best regards,

	Tom Verhoeff
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Dept. of Math. & Comp. Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven