[Lazarus] What is current status of fpGUI?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:03:12 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Aleksa Todorovic <alexionne at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Does fpGUI in current version supports creation of skinnable applications?

Yes it does, but very basic.  A full theme engine is planned for early
in the new year, including a Theme Designer application.

> 2) I've followed instructions on
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fpGUI_Interface, but I got this
> error when I try to compile Lazarus with fpGUI:
>
> fpguiint.pp(42,12) Fatal: Can't find unit fpgfx used by fpguiint

The fpGUI  via LCL is not usable yet. Only about 5 basic components
have been implemented. I'm planning on starting the full
implementation next year.  As for the error you got. The fpGUI units
where renamed a little while back to be more consistent. The LCL has
not been updated yet.

Nothing stops you from using fpGUI directly though (without the LCL).
I currently develop all our applications like that. I still use
Lazarus IDE to write all my software. Ctrl+Shift+F12 launches the
fpGUI UI Designer for the current unit being edited and Lazarus
detects changes once I return. This works very nice. I have also
created a few Lazarus IDE add-ons to create fpGUI based projects.

For more details and help on fpGUI, I would recommend you ask in the
fpGUI newsgroups. More info at:
  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/#Newsgroups

Regards,
  - Graeme -