[Lazarus] TBitmap unable to Load certain BMP files..

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Sat Feb 16 02:05:42 CET 2008

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:46:53AM +0100, Sebastian G?nther wrote:
>> Dominique Louis schrieb:
>>> Hi all
>>>    I have the situation where a Delphi TBitmap class is able to load a
>>> particular .bmp image while the LCL version of TBitmap throws an
>>> exception.
>> What exception is it exactly? Can you tell the value of Exception.Message?
>>
>>> Firstly is there a known issue with any particular types of Bitmap images?
>> I personally encountered problems when dealing with RLE compressed
>> bitmaps, which are quite common.
>
> Afaik the fpimage readers that lazarus uses support bi_RLE4 and bi_RLE8. So
> it should be automagically decompressed?

Hi Marco,

I don't know the internals about how the LCL does handle the image
files. Some weeks ago, before I posted the patch for dealing with RLE
compressed files within Lazarus, I noticed that the LCL image loader
cannot deal with such files. Apparently the LCL implementation tries to
be more performant as the fpImage version, but cannot handle compressed
BMPs.
I'm sorry about this, but actually I don't have the time to look further
at this topic. So someone like Mattias should either take my patch, or
modify LCL to use the fpImage implementation.

Greetings,
Sebastian