[Lazarus] Opinions required on what the ReadOnly property should do for LCL controls.

svaa svaa at ciberpiula.net
Thu Feb 21 22:54:48 CET 2008

Hello:

For me there is no doubt. When I set a control as readonly, I expect
that the user won't be able to change it at all.

In fact, years ago I hacked rxlib to avoid pop a list when they where
readonly. Particulary if they are attached to a database, it's confusing
for the user to change it clicking the button but updating nothing. The
downside is that they won't be able to show the calendar, but I think it
is better than confusing user. If the popped calendar could show clearly
that is not changeable, it would be the best, but a low priority
enhacement.  By the way, when I say TDateTimeEdit, I mean any control
with a combo etc.

Anyhow, if you want people see that a control is not usable, it is
better to assign enable:=false. The pity of disabled controls it that
they are not easily readable.

Sometimes I think that there should be three colors to inform the user
of the state of the control: enabled, disabled and readonly. Long time
ago I played with the idea of changing the Dataware controls to have a
yellow background when they where not editable (because they were
readonly or because the TDatasource was not autoedit or because the
underlaying table was readonly.)

Just my 0.25 cents.

Reagards
Santiago A.