[Lazarus] Unicode and DBAware

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:06:14 CEST 2008

Hello Jesus,

Thursday, July 24, 2008, 1:19:36 AM, you wrote:

JR> I think the best would be to fix your database, if you don't

Yes, convert the database to utf8 should be the best solution, but
currently that's impossible as there are different software using it
and I can not control all of those. So meanwhile the other software
can not work with utf8 data I should not upgrade the database (even we
are using FB 1.5).

JR> really need to have multiencodings then avoid to use it and fix

No multiencoding is needed, only ISO8859-1 is needed and all fields
have the same encoding (no encoding at all in fact).

[...]
JR> this. Then setting the expected charset in ibconnection should be
JR> all what you need to do, because ib server should send you strings
JR> in requested encoding and on saving it should convert back to
JR> field charset (provided that when storing data in target field the
JR> conversion is legal, that's it)

The problem raises when the character sequence (without encoding)
looks like a utf8 special character group but the result code is
invalid as Lazarus try to convert it and raises an exception which
will stop all the data gathering.

I'll try to get the data manually and see if the problem is something
in the conversion routines (my problem, not a conversion problem) or
the way the data is being feeded.

I'll do more tests and post here the results.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun