[Lazarus] Fatal [Error]: Can't find unit URIParser used by XMLRead

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jul 25 08:57:54 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:52:04 +1000
"Peter Williams" <pewtas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mattias and All Others,
>
> 2008/7/25 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:05:24 +1000
> > "Peter Williams" <pewtas at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All Lazarus Users,
> > >
> > > I'm getting a very odd error message when I try to build the
> > > following simple project.
> > >
> > > Error message:
> > >
> > > do_the_macarena.lpr(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit URIParser used by
> > > XMLRead
> >
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Unit_not_found_-_How_to_find_units
> >

> I used the search app of my Linux Kubuntu OS and found that the
> 'missing unit' actually exists TWICE on my system. However I don't
> understand what setting I need to change to make Lazarus (or Free
> Pascal Compiler) find a copy of the unit. Please help me if you can.
>
> /usr/share/fpcsrc/packages/base/netdb/uriparser.pp
> /usr/share/fpcsrc/utils/fppkg/fcl20/uriparser.pp
>
> Also, it is mystery to me why Lazarus (or FPC) even wants these
> units, as I'm not parsing anything nor creating XML files.

The LCL uses xmlread.

> Finally, can someone who is responsible for the Free Pascal Compiler
> please delete one of the copies of "uriparser.pp" -- since I believe
> that it is wrong for it to be included twice... once should be
> enough. Also, having the file twice increases the possibility of
> errors ('cos you don't know which copy will be used).

True, but I guess, this is not your error.
I will add this to the wiki.

> I *DID READ* the URL page listed above... and with all due respect it
> is the biggest load of gibberish that I've read in a long time!!! For
> example, it [the article] asks me to determine whether or not Free
> Pascal Compiler or Lazarus can find the missing unit -- without
> telling me how to find out! *THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING !!!!*

Well, my english is not good, but the information is there:

"If the compiler can not find it, the compilation fails (Build, Ctrl+F9)
with the error 'unit not found'."

"If the IDE can not find, the code tools will fail. For example Find
Declaration (Alt+Up or Ctrl+Left mouse button) or Identifier completion
(Ctrl+Space) will fail with the same error 'unit not found'."

You are welcome to improve the wiki text.

I guess, you have

"case 3: IDE finds a unit, but compiler does not

This is the case, when Find Declaration finds the unit, but building
(Ctrl+F9) fails. "

> Hopefully looking forward to some help. Thanks in advance. *SMILE*

Mattias