[Lazarus] Google Trends reports LCL is hugely popular!

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:50:14 CEST 2008

> But, because we are in a open source world here, just coming to the
> mailling list and saying that you think way X is excelent and people
> should implement it has absolutely no value. If you think way X is
> very good, then send patches implementing it!!!

I'm expressing my opinion about a topic that was under discussion. When i
was sure that something was good and it wouldn't be wasted time for me to
code them (as was the case with other opensource project to which i
contributed at the past), i wrote and submitted a few patches to Lazarus.
However in this case not everyone seems to think the same about overriding
the theme, so i said my opinion. Writing a patch that does what i'm talking
about and having it rejected because i haven't stated why i think this is a
good idea (this applies to most things, not just this particular issue) is
not something i like to do.

Discussing is a good thing.

>> Of course i think the best solution for all these problems would be a
>> crossplatform toolkit that sits below LCL and has a constant behavior no
>> matter what the system is. fpGUI seems to be such a kit, but setting
>> Lazarus
>> to compile with this toolkit is failing due to some missing unit.
>
> Then why don't you send a patch that fixes the compilation? Supposing
> you have actually read the instructions on the wiki and you have set
> it up correctly.

I didn't tried that much, that was only a small comment not a complaint
about fpGUI. I was just curious to see if it works, the only thing i did was
to make a form with a button, set the target interface to fpGUI and try to
compile it. What i wrote above could end with "...so i haven't really
checked it out to be sure that it really is".

Kostas