[Lazarus] [lazarus] Advice about creating database-aware application with Lazarus

Howard Lee Harkness howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 03:35:10 CEST 2008

Yes, I'm using XP Pro SP2.

Knowing how to configure Lazarus is not useful unless I can write a program
that works using it.

I went back and checked to see if maybe I did the FPC installation without
the default configuration file. Nope. It is checked by default, and I didn't
change it. This time, I went through the readme and verified that I could
build and run the Hello, World program. I was careful to install it directly
to the directory where Lazarus would find it.

This time, I got a different error on the LCL build: Error: Identifier not
found "LowerCaseTable".

That's it for tonight. Since my time is worth more than minimum wage,
Lazarus is getting too expensive. I don't like admitting to defeat, but this
one has defeated me.

I think I might have an old copy of D2, D3 or D4 somewhere... and maybe even
a copy of D6. I know that I can make any of those do what I want, even if I
have to go back to using the old BDE.

No, I don't care what database is underneath. No, I don't care if it's
cross-platform. No, I don't even care what language it's written in (I am
familiar with over a dozen), as long as I can make the app work. And if it
can't be made to work, it doesn't matter what the database is, or whether
it's cross-platform, or even what the language is. The ONLY thing that
matters to a working programmer is whether the stuff he writes WORKS.

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <
felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/21 Howard Lee Harkness <howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com>:
> > At this step: Go to Tools --> Configure build lazarus
> > I get the error: Fatal: Can't find unit system used by AllLCLUnits
>
> I just tested here and it works for me. I don't know what is
> different. Maybe you unchecked "create default configuration file" in
> the fpc installer.
>
> Are you using Windows XP too?
>
> > At least I was able to get 2.2.0 to restore. However, I'm back where I
> was
> > before: A trivial 1-hour project has taken nearly 20 hours over a period
> of
> > 3 weeks, and I haven't got anything to show for that effort. I'm tired of
> > this.
>
> If you focus in the positive side, you learned a lot about how to
> configure lazarus =)
>
> Also, the original answer by Joost was:
>
> "You can find this problem in the bug-tracker. You can work around it
> with 'TDataset.DisableControls' and 'TDataset.Enablecontrols' around the
> applyupdates call. Or try fpc 2.2.2rc1 or any later version."
>
> So instead of trying to configure Lazarus with FPC 2.2.2rc1 you coul
> just have used TDataset.DisableControls ...
>
> > to work on this for the week, so I think I'll stop by Fry's on the way
> home
> > from work sometime next week and buy a copy of Visual Basic. Bet it won't
> > take me 20 hours to write a trivial DB app in VB.
>
> It surely won't be cross-platform, nor will it support unicode =P Also
> it's probably a bad choice, as VB will probably wish that you use
> Access instead of MySQL (unless you don't care about which database to
> use).
>
> But I do agree that Lazarus needs to improve when it comes to
> developing database aware applications.
>
> With the money from VB you could pay someone to fix all problems with
> lazarus database apps connecting to mysql =P
>
> I would go as far as saying that the only case in which I would
> recommend for someone to use Delphi instead of Lazarus is if he is
> developing Windows-only data-aware applications and he doesn't need
> any of the other features of Lazarus (like being open source,
> supporting unicode, etc).
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Howard Lee Harkness