[Lazarus] Obtaining TIDesigner

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Jun 22 13:51:03 CEST 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 03:10:19 -0700
"Boian Mitov" <mitov at mitov.com> wrote:

>      Hi Mattias,
>
> Thank you! I have also found another work around in my properties,
> but this will help. What are the reasons for so many differences in
> the Design time interfaces from Delphi ?

Delphi changed their design time API often and the IDE works different
than Delphi. IDE compatibility was never the goal.

> Are those legal or technical issues?

Both.

> I also notice that there is practically no usage of
> Interfaces. Is this  because of the strange way FPC works with
> interfaces (what they call "optimization"), or some other reason?

There were no interfaces when lazarus was started.
There are a few candidates, where interfaces could be more useful than
classes. Maybe they will change eventually.
IMO Delphi used interfaces mainly because of licensing issues, closed
source, patents, dll hell.

About "FPC optimization":
I'm happy that the FPC team does not do Delphi compatibility at any
cost.

Mattias