[Lazarus] Java's Document & Elements model

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 14:57:55 CEST 2008

On 26/06/2008, Kostas Michalopoulos <badsector at slashstone.com> wrote:
>  for *most* cases, at least. The cases where a simple approach is not
>  efficient enough, can have a different implementation. But these are special
>  cases you don't see used often in a GUI (as also mentioned, in the whole
>  Lazarus IDE only SynEdit could benefit from it

I agree that a TLabel or TEdit using a Document Interface, might be
overkill. I'll do performance tests with those when I get there...

As for SynEdit being the only component that could benefit from it. I
think not. :) SynEdit, TMemo, TRichView, THTMLView (or whatever it's
called to display HTML like in the CHM Help Viewer), LazReport could
also use it. ListBox, ComboBox could use it (though I personally think
it's madness to have 100's or 1000's of items in those. StringGrid is
another posibility.

But in the end, it comes down to trying it out with a basic
implementation like SimpleDocument and getting a feeling of how it
works. Then later implement the StyledDocument if things go well.

Regards,
  - Graeme -