[Lazarus] SALE 79% OFF

lazarus at miraclec.com lazarus at miraclec.com
Sun Mar 30 21:20:59 CEST 2008

Denis Golovan wrote:
> Hi, all
>
>   I think everybody noticed slow application start under Lazarus and GDB as debugger. On my Athlon 1200, starting of 3 form application (15Mb size
> including gdb debug info) costs about 7-8 seconds. Without debugger, main form pops up almost immediately.
>   Console output shows that debugger tries to load debug info for all units in project before letting program go. Some googling also shows the same
> problems with other languages.
>   So that's the question :) - is it possible to reduce gdb starting time by loading debug info on-demand? Maybe some FAQ already exists?
>
>   AFAIU, the more project - the more time it will take debugger to load all (obviously not needed) debug symbols.

Unfortunately I think hat is how gdb works. Even if I look at my own
debugger, it must load/parse all info before it knows what symbols are used.

This is one of the reasons why Lazarus keeps the debugger running. If
you want to debug multiple sessions without compiling a new exe (see
compiler options, last tab, uncheck compile on run), GDB doesn't have to
load the exe again. So you get faster start times.

Marc