[Lazarus] Visual Form Inheritance

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu May 8 15:00:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008 18:14:45 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2008, Mattias Gärtner wrote:
>
> > Zitat von Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com>:
> >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I found the following bug report on mantis:
> > > http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=705
> > >
> > > Which seems to indicate that VFI is implemented, but I'm unsure
> > > as to the what level it working from reading the comments.
> > >
> > > VFI works, but just not in the IDE at design time?  Meaning that
> > > I can inherit from an ancestor form, but the ancestor's controls
> > > will not show up in
> > design time, but are drawn at runtime?
> > >
> > > At worst, I just need methods to be inherited from a base form
> > > and appears to be working, but I was curious as to the "Visual"
> > > part of VFI at design time or if that will be planned?
> >
> > AFAIK there are two things missing:
> > - Easy creating descendant forms via 'New ...' dialog
>
> But this is the essence of VFI ?
> Without this, how can one say that VFI works ?

Oh, come on. This is too simple.
You can already create easily any kind of inherited component. Just
close the designer form and change the ancestor in the source. The only
missing thing is a dialog, that do this in on step.
I already wondered why you didn't provide a dialog yourself. You wrote
the project templates, so I know you are skilled.

Anyway, here is "the essence":
I found a nice patch for this in bug 1287. I simplified and extended it
and now you can inherit forms, datamodules, frames and custom component
classes via the new dialog.

Lazarians are spoiled.

Mattias