[Lazarus] LazReport

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed May 14 15:45:14 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Lee Jenkins wrote:
>> Reporting is significant to an application (well the back office portion) that
>> I'm hoping to write with Lazarus/Freepascal and without a viable solution, I
>> stuck with using Delphi or Visual Studio/Mono.
>
> I have not user FreeReports or LazReports yet, so can't comment on them.
> I wouldn't dismiss Lazarus/Free Pascal that quickly though. ;-)
>
> I have a RTF based report engine which might come in handy as well. I
> use it to report off my tiOPF objects, but it can report from TDataset's
> as well, or both. You can create custom fields (tags) for use in your
> reports as well. So you are only limited to what Free Pascal can do! :)
>
> The RTF report engine was originally written for Delphi and tiOPF. I
> ported it to Free Pascal and fpGUI. It should work as-is for Lazarus. I
> commented out the image support due to fpGUI lacking JPEG support, but
> that should be fairly straight forward to get working with Lazarus (as
> it's much closer to how Delphi works).  I can email you in private the
> original and ported RTF engine if you want. It's one unit and a sample
> application.
>
> BTW: I use OpenOffice to view reports and design the rtf report
> templates. I have even created a OpenOffice macro to convert the
> generated rtf to pdf before it gets viewed by the user.
>
> BTW #2: I still want to have a look at PowerPDF as well. That would be
> handy for non-Lazarus based applications as well.

Hi Graeme,

That is the whole point, to use Lazarus/FreePascal!  I want freedom of platform!
  I already know I that can (and am, for that matter) writing the major (front
office) portion of my application in Laz/FPC.

I'll take a look-see, but I'd rather not have 3rd party requirements for
reporting if I can help it.  PowerPDF seems pretty tight to me, even is there is
no banded report designer.  Maybe if you would send me what you have for your
rtf engine, I could see how it might be used as a basis for one with PowerPDF.

Fortunately, I will not need to start writing reports for quite a while yet so I
can wait to see how LaReport shapes up.  Just knowing I could use PowerPDF
(after playing with it a bit yesterday) is enough for me if LazReport doesn't
seem viable by the time I have to start on reporting.  Nice to have options. :)

BTW, I noticed that the PDF export filter that was written for FreeReport uses
PowerPDF for its engine.

Thanks to all for your input!

--

Warm Regards,

Lee

"When my company started out, we were really, really, really, really small.
Now...we're just really small."