[Lazarus] target filename extension

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 21 11:39:21 CEST 2008

Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> I'm getting annoyed not being able to easily search and delete any
>> executables in my Linux programming folders.
>
> Here is a one liner:
> find my-Linux-programming-folder -name '' -type f -perm /111 -regex
> '[^.]+' -exec rm {} \;

Thanks, I'll make a note of that. But sometimes I use Midnight Commander
or Total Commander via Wine, so in that case it doesn't work (or at
least easily). I often use the search feature in Total Commander, feed
the results to a Panel and delete everything it found.

> I'm curious:
> Why don't you use an output directory? Then you can simple delete all
> files there.

I do, a 'units' directory.  But that only stores the the *.o or *.ppu
files. My executable get created in the same directory as the .lpr file.
That's how I prefer it.

> IMO .app is a bad idea, because: The .app is hidden in
> the finder, the executable itself has no extension and .app is meant to
> be the folder, not the executable.

My knowledge of Mac OS X equates to 2 hours of playing with it. I didn't
know .app is a folder!  I also don't develop application for a Mac yet,
but will some day.

I simply thought '.app' is nice, because it = 'application'
I did think of '.bin', but that = binary. Many other things are also
binary files (shared objects, database files etc), so doesn't really say
'Hey I'm an application!' to me. ;-)

Any other suggestions for a linux application extension?

> IMHO you should easily distinguish between Mac OS X applications
> folders and linux binaries too and not use .app.

True.

> There is no option yet. Here is the default:
> ide/lazconf.pp GetExecutableExt

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll see if I can make
some Environment Option.

Regards,
   - Graeme -