[Lazarus] Fw: ARM-WinCe - LCL does not compile

cc_ at freemail.hu cc_ at freemail.hu
Wed May 21 22:20:19 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 21.05.2008, 14:13 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Example:
>
> graemeg at graemeg:tmp$ ls -l untit*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 graemeg graemeg  7280 2008-05-21 13:50 untitled1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 graemeg graemeg  2311 2008-05-21 13:51 untitled2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 graemeg graemeg 96256 2008-05-21 13:51 untitled3
>
> Here it lists three files of different types. OpenDocument Text, Rich
> Text and MS Word respectively.  You have no idea knowing that from the
> command line, other than using some hex editor to peak at the first 3-5
> bytes of the file (a process way above the avg user).
>
> As a test, I opened Nautilus. As with most Linux apps, it normally
> detects the file via it's magic number or something, not the file
> extension. The first two worked by simply double clicking on them, but
> it had no idea what 'untitled3' was (MS Word document). Strange!

$ file unti*

should do:

$ file *
Physik_Praktikum 6.xls:     Microsoft Office Document
Versuch 3a.doc:             Microsoft Office Document
Versuch 6a.doc:             Microsoft Office Document
Zugefestigkeit:             directory
Zugversuch.pdf:             PDF document, version 1.4

So file does know at least ms-word documents. I think

$ man file

or

$ man magic

wil tell a lot about it. MAc does have a BSD userland too and thus there
is magic (=the database for detecting file types).

> Using file extensions simply gives you a nice fallback option (hint) as
> to what mime type it is.

Connecting applications and MIME types is a different thing.

> > .linux or .elf
>
> I like .elf!  :-)

$ file enum
enum: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, stripped

Hmmmm... ;)

Marc