[Lazarus] target filename extension

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu May 22 11:15:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:34:50AM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > Zugversuch.pdf:             PDF document, version 1.4
> >
> > So file does know at least ms-word documents. I think
>
> Before this message thread I never knew about the 'file' command.
>
> graemeg at graemeg:tmp$ file unt*
> untitled1: data
> untitled2: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI
> untitled3: Microsoft Office Document
>
>  From it's output, it seems to know 'untitled3' is a MS Word document,
> yet Nautilus cannot open it when I double click on it. Clearly some bug
> in Nautilus or some system specific setup issue on my system.

I think the fact that there is no version specified for  the office document
says enough. The detection is superficial.

> Bottom line is that file extensions have a use. They simply make things
> easier, although they are not perfect.

One can discus about that. One can also discuss about what they should have
done back then.

However IMHO it is not worth going against convention here.

> graemeg at graemeg:textwidth$ file textwidth.elf
> textwidth.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
> Even though the system could be FreeBSD or Linux, .elf is a good enough
> extension for my executables. '*.elf-linux' is just to long. My copy of
> Lazarus by default now generates '*.elf' named executables under Linux. :-)
>
> Now I just need to figure out how to convince FPC to do it by default
> from the command line.

Edit compiler/systems/i_linux