[Lazarus] Forms Color on Linux

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Sat May 24 15:09:42 CEST 2008

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 2008, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>

>> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
>> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Then what is the cause of the perceived slowness of the IDE under GTK 2 ?
>>>
>> The only thing slow in the IDE is the code editor. The problem is with
>> cairo, which is used to draw the text.
>>

> Is it cairo that forces use of double buffering ?

No LCL does not uses cairo at all. All Gtk2 widgets is buffered by
default. Qt is also double buffered AFAIK.

> I mean, drawing text should be a cheap operation, IMHO ?

Yes. But pango goes beyond drawing text. It supports full unicode (even
broken utf8 encoded strings), bidi, complex text layout, text formatting.

It is one of the main culprits of the difference between gtk1 and gtk2
performance. Note that Gtk2 uses cairo only after 2.8

Luiz