[Lazarus] External: SIGSEGV

Bogusław Brandys brandys at o2.pl
Tue May 27 20:46:04 CEST 2008

cc_ at freemail.hu wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have tried to google for "External: SIGSEGV" exception, but nothing
> what came up helped.

It's from gdb debugger . Search for "SIGSEV gdb" and I'm sure you will
find much more.

> Is there any detailed explanation about when this exception occurs?
>

> In my program it  pops up when reading an unassigned (nil) object property:
>

>   MyObject2_Var:= MyObject1.MyObject2;   (MyObject1.MyObject2 is nil)
>

> The strange thing is that the assignment is in a try ... except block,
> and the debugger does not stop at the breakpoints in the exception
> handling part.

It may be a bug in gdb ..I don't know, but if debugger is trying to
access some memory which MyObject2_Var is pointing to and it's not
accessible then....

> I am totally clueless.

Me too sometimes. Debugging with Lazarus under windows really need a
total rebuild with native debugger, but it looks like hopeless wish now...

Regards
Boguslaw